About the Teacher
Dr. Gastón Espinosa is Professor of Religious Studies at Claremont McKenna College, the author or editor of nine books and countless articles, and is a graduate of Biola U (BA), Princeton Seminary (MDiv), Harvard U (MEd), and UC Santa Barbara (PhD). In his free time, he loves to travel, the gym, adventure, the beach, Yosemite, concerts, dancing, films and all types of music & worship.
About the class
The goal of this 10 week class is to provide you with an introduction to the lost art of Discipleship in the Christian Church and an understanding of the basic Christian beliefs that every believer should know and be able to explain to family, friends, and strangers. It seeks to encourage, equip, and enable you (by the power of the Holy Spirit) to grow stronger in your faith and strengthen you on your journey of becoming a lover of God. In order to do so, this class explores…
- Jesus’s Lost Art of Discipleship – 5 traits of a disciple & how to be a disciple maker, • Jesus’s Radical Message – why it’s both revolutionary & relevant today,
- How to Become more like Jesus – how to deepen & renew your relationship w/God,
- Understanding the Bible – crash course on it and common criticisms & answers,
- Understanding God – crash course/errors about God & atheistic objections/answers,
- Understanding Jesus & Trinity – True & False views (Mormon, JW, Islam) of Jesus & Trinity,
- Understanding the Holy Spirit & Identifying your Spiritual gifts to serve others,
- Understanding Angels, Demons, and Satan – their power, activity, and limitations,
- Spiritual Disciplines – how to effectively pray, read the Bible, worship, and fast, and
- How to Share Your Faith – crash course on evangelism & sharing Jesus &role-playing.
In each class, we will show video clips, engage in active listening, Q&A, and small group discussions, pray for one another, and reflect on how to apply what we’ve learned that day.
Dates: January 22nd – March 19th
Time: 9:30am – 10:30am
Location: CBC Main Building, Classroom 2
Materials: In addition to your Bible and handouts given by the instructor, the two books you’ll need via Amazon.com are Ken Woods, The Rose Guide to Discipleship (2016) and Wayne A. Grudem, Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics Every Christian Should Know (2022 ed).